Friday, May 18, 2007

Review of Tutorial Tasks

Hiya,

Computers, oh computers...why do you mock me? I know it is because you are smarter than me.
Alas, you still need me, don't you? You still need me to control you.

Tuturial Exercise Report
Throughout the Semester a number of topics and software programs have been reviewed. Here is my review of them;

Week 2-Establishing a Weblog
This is where it all began. We created our blogs in this class. As a computer avoider, much of the time, I had to put my late adapting ways behind me and join the blogging crowd. It was not as abhorent as I would have thought, quite easy to set up, although I did have trouble with layouting.

Week 3- Culture on the Internet
Yes, there is a massive computer communicating lot of people out there. From all different walks of life, willing to disclose different amounts of information and yet they have the internet in common. It is quite easy to find a 'friend' on the internet, it seems though that the term 'friend' is used loosely. This friend (hello NCT buddies!) appears to be in many cases a link.

Week 4- Library research
I have used the library databases before, so this task was relatively easy. The difficult aspect was knowing what topic to choose. We have come a long way sonce the days of actually going to the library and borrowing books.

Week 5- Adobe Intro
In this tutorial we were asked to find pictures ( I used some on my own) and manipulate them on photoshop. many in the class were adept to photoshop, me however, well I was lost (along with the mature age students). I found the most important tool was to select the area you wanted to change and then 'trail and error' my way around. Once I got into it, I found it quite fun. I can see how many non-creative people can now fool everyone with this technology, creativity is a click away.


Week 6- Photoshop part 2
This is still underway. I find it to be time consuming as I lack sufficient skills.

Week 7- Catch up
yep, still catching up.

Week 8- Internet Field trip
I saw a program on SBS about 'second life'. it was very intriguing. I remember the girl that was being interviewed saying "Sometimes my husband is so consumed in the game (second life) that i have to log on and tell him via the game that dinner is ready. He was so busy having dinner on the game he forgot about real life".
What?
I do not know what to think of that, so I went on a field trip to second life.com. This was probably the most interesting task for me. Other things I know about and can click my way through, but the whole 3d interacting really shocks me. I tried to explain to my father what second life is, needless to say I simply could not.

Week 10- Micro Word
This task started off as being relatively easy. The advanced exersize was quite hard. I still do not know exactly what it accomplished, but i was surprised to learn Microsoft word had so many applications.

Week 11- Microsoft Excel
This was challenging for me. Clicking and typing and clicking and doing maths. I still could not work out how to copy and paste formulas or do the advanced excersize. I was very usefull to know how to create charts though. Now I can be someone that substantiates my opinions with proffessional looking graphs.

All in all, I found the tutorials to be very relevent to Uni today. They helped me in understanding basic things I have not adapted to yet and extend on things I have. While I might sound like 'Miss Negative' , I will continue to explore new technologies because of the exposure from these tutes.

No comments: